“The time has come!” The walrus said…
It’s Tuesday, and we all know what that means. You may not yet know, however, that tonight is the first of about 10 two-hour-shows! So be sure to tune in an hour early (7:00 PM CST) to catch the whole thing. I’ve spent the last week building a really solid playlist, and I’ll throw a couple of random goodies in the bag before I head to the station, too. Look forward to it!
Hour the first…
1. Koko Taylor – Voodoo Woman
2. Stevie Wonder – I Wish
3. Skavenjah – Jackie Chan
4. Barenaked Ladies – Brian Wilson
5. Nicholas Payton – Tiger Rag
6. The Cat Empire – Sunny Moon
7. Oscar Peterson – Mumbles
8. Super Chikan – You Said
9. Lyle Lovett And His Large Band – All Downhill
10. Hot Hot Heat – Elevator
11. Brian Wilson – God Only Knows
12. Gnarls Barkley – Crazy
13. davidovic – my motorcycle
Hour the second…
14. Oscar Brown Jr. – Brother Where Are You (Matthew Herbert Mix)
15. Supertonic – Lead Me On
16. Frank Zappa – Montana
17. Gutbucket – Carnivore
18. Do Make Say Think – You, You’re Awesome
19. Bob Evans – Courage Of The Morning
20. cloudy, with occasional rain – delightfully fantastic
21. Aphex Twin – Nannou
22. Rockabye Baby! – Fragile
23. Marvin Gaye – Yesterday
24. Imogen Heap – Hide And Seek
25. Lazerblade – Message To Earth
Thanks for listening, and be sure to tune in next week at 7:00 PM CST for another two-hour program!
Another week; another hour of great music!
I know, I’m bad at bringing only enough music to fill an hour. I always end up bringing way more than I could possibly play in that short time, so I’ve put together a playlist for tonight that covers some hidden ground – lots of stuff I’ve been wanting to play for a while, but haven’t gotten around to yet… a few of those gems that I just had to cut from previous shows.
I won’t mention names, yet, but I’ll let you know that I intend to touch on some very varied styles.
1. Mihirangi – Poi Song
2. Man Man – The Ballad Of Butter Beans
3. Kaada – All Wrong
4. Socalled – You Are Never Alone
5. Radiohead – Skttrbrain
6. Buck 65 – Tired Out
7. Leonard Cohen – Waiting For The Miracle
8. Seal – Free
9. Weather Report – Birdland
10. Dave Brubeck – Eleven Four
11. Brendan Canning – All The Best Wooden Toys Are Made In Germany
12. The Bad Plus – Flim
Thanks again for listening, and don’t forget to tune in ONE HOUR EARLY next week, if you’re not already listening to Regina Community Radio (as unlikely as that is). What Planet Is This?! will be starting at 7:00 PM CST for the next 10 weeks! You can still catch Mouth Radio Tuesday nights at 11:00 PM until things move back to normal!
It’s that time of the week again, friends! As I posted a few days ago, tonight’s show is going to be jazz-heavy. All jazz, in fact. There’s some straight forward traditional stuff, some crazygonuts freestyle possibilities, some very rock influenced options, big bands, little bands, duos… and only one hour, so I’ll make due with what I’ve got and try to get all the bases covered. There’s SO MUCH great jazz out there! I’ll barely be able to skim the surface, and I know it, but man – I’m going to try. I know you’ll dig this!
1. Buddy Rich & His Big Band – Dancing Men (feat. Simon Phillips on drums)
2. Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band – High Maintenance
3. John Coltrane – Giant Steps
4. Paul Bley & Sonny Greenwich – Steeplechase
5. Trent Reschny – Alone Together
6. Stan Getz & João Gilberto – It Might As Well Be Spring (feat. Astrud Gilberto on vocals)
7. Michael Brecker Quindectet – Brexterity
8. The Bad Plus – Iron Man
9. Diana Krall – Stop This World
So much good jazz out there. I think there were about three times as many tunes on my list that didn’t get played, opposed to the few that did. Oh well. I’ll just have to do another jazz show someday, or sneak them into other upcoming shows. As usual; thanks for listening. Hope you can tune in again next week!
Check back here often for updates, as well. 😉
That’s right, I’m officially on Twitter.
I’m new to the Twitter thing, so I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing, but I hope to use it to post updates about the show and all kind of other good musical stuff! Mostly, just quick snippets and cool findings on the internet.
I’m in a very jazzy mood right now (as I often am), and I think it would be great to have an all-jazz show next Tuesday!
For those of you who think you don’t like jazz, please try to keep in mind that, like most styles of music; jazz covers a huge spectrum of styles. I will play something that you will like!
That said, I’ve already got a bunch of possibilities lined up: some Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz, Michael Brecker, David Braid, The Bad Plus… Oh yeah! There will be some good stuff! Are there any great jazz tunes that you know and would like to hear on the air? Let me know if you have any suggestions.
I’m back – here to take you on another journey bordering the limits of space and time through sound! There is so much to hear on tonight’s program that there are in fact two hours of other-worldly music lined up! Maybe you’ll hear The Band; maybe Nina Simone; how about some Brian Wilson? Maybe not… perhaps a little Wynton Marsalis, or even Frank Sinatra… So many choices! There may be an extra hour to play with tonight, but how can all of this great music fit?
I promise to make tonight’s show another good one, and hopefully play a few Mouth-approved selections while I fill in Al’s time slot.
Don’t miss it! You’ll regret it for the rest of time (and that could be a while)… ;]
Here’s the list…
1. Bob Marley – Reincarnated Souls
2. Bob Dylan – Corrina, Corrina
3. Lucinda Williams – Concrete and Barbed Wire
4. Hayden – Two Doors
5. Charlie Haden – Ocean of Diamonds
6. Alvin Youngblood Hart – France Blues
7. Man Man – Van Helsing Boombox
8. Tom Waits – Misery is the River of the World
9. Rheostatics – Five
10. Gentle Giant – Knots
11. Great Uncles of the Revolution – Cat and Mouse
12. Portishead – Machine Gun
13. MSTRKRFT – Heartbreaker
14. The Seatbelts – Sax Quartet
15. James Brown – My Thang
16. The Band – Up on Cripple Creek
17. Sublime – Rivers of Babylon
18. CCR – Long as I can see the Light
19. Van Morrison – Caravan
20. Joni Mitchell – Black Crow
21. Ravi Shankar & Philip Glass – Prashanti
22. Twelve Girls Band – Liu San Jie
23. Apostle of Hustle – Sleepwalk
24. Frank Sinatra – People Will say We’re in Love
Not a bad show, if I do say so, myself (and I do). Lots of good ones, a few really good ones…
Thanks to Al from Mouth Radio for letting me fill in. He’ll be back next week at 7:00, and I’ll be in again at 8:00 next Tuesday. Thanks for listening and comments are welcome!