Just in case you missed it: What Planet Is This?! is back to one hour, as of tonight. Tune in at the original start time – 8:00 PM CST (details at the top of this page) for an hour of great music.
Tonight’s possibilities include: Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban, Eric Dolphy, Man Man, Deep Dark Woods, Jeffrey Straker, Do Make Say Think and many more.
I hope you can catch the show.
1. The Seatbelts – What Planet Is This?!
2. Dr John – On The Wrong Side Of The Railroad Tracks
3. Jeff Coffin Mu’tet – Intro/Tuesday’s Waterloo
4. Portishead – Hunter
5. Man Man – Engwish Bwudd
6. Nakaido “Chabo” Reichi – Purototaipu E
7. Deep Dark Woods – Redwood Forest
8. Broken Social Scene – I Slept With Bonhomme At The CBC
9. Do Make Say Think – A Tender History In Rust
10. Eels – Last: This Town
11. Silverchair – Those Thieving Birds Part I/Strange Behavior/Those Thieving Birds Part II
Thanks for listening. Hope you can tune in again next week.
*Long, terribly depressing sigh*
Well, I’m back to one hour for next week, apparently. I knew I should have been keeping track. It sneaked up on me. Anyway, next week, the show will be starting at 8:00 PM CST, so if you’ve gotten used to tuning in at 7:00, first; thank you, and second; you’ll catch Mouth Radio, back in its old time slot.
Hope you can tune in next Tuesday at 8:00. There’s no shortage of good music to go around, and going back to a one-hour format just forces me to only pick the really good stuff.
Until then, cheers and happy listening!
Not long now, folks. Pretty soon, What Planet Is This?! will be back to its original one-hour format. I’ve enjoyed having two hours to play with, and I figure while I still have one or two left, I’d better make the best of my time by playing some of my all-time favorites and some of those jams that go into the realm of over 10 minutes! Ah yes!
Tonight’s possibilities include: Dirty Dozen Brass Band, The Bad Plus, Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band, Parliament, Tower of Power, Charlie Haden, Sarah Slean, Buck 65, Joni Mitchell and way way more!
Damn it! Running late (as always), on my way to the station, when my car stalls at the intersection of Vic Ave and Arcola! Great! Fantastic! Just what I bloody need! After plenty of choice words, and about half an hour of directing traffic around me, as apparently very few people can see my hazard lights when they’re busy staring at the sky or whatever it is idiots do when they drive; my paperweight on wheels decides it’ll start again. Great! So I made it to the station a little more than half an hour late. Smoothly done.
What was left of the first hour:
1. Dirty Dozen Brass Band – Cissy Strut
2. Joshua Redman Elastic Band – Shut Your Mouth
3. Parliament – P. Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)
4. Tower Of Power – So I Got To Groove
And the second hour:
5. Sarah Vaughan – Whatever Lola Wants
6. Sarah Slean – Pilgrim
7. Buck 65 – Roses and Bluejays
8. The Deep Dark Woods – Straight and Narrow
9. The Cracker Cats – Darkness
10. The Seatbelts
11. Jaco Pastorious – Blackbird
12. Joni Mitchell – The Circle Game
13. Charlie Haden – Single Girl, Married Girl
14. Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama – Satisfied Mind
15. Toto – Africa
16. Radiohead – Kid A
Tune in next week, when I will have either ponied up the last of my money to get the car fixed, or taken the city bus to be at the station on time! Yeesh!
After a few minor setbacks with the moving company, X-Ray Records is expected to open by Thursday, the 22nd of April.
Lots of new stock and plenty of favorites are filling the shelves right now!
For more info, go to xrayrecords.ca.
Another week, another What Planet Is This?! I love bringing it to you. Hope you like listening as much as I like pushing play!
Tonight (as always), I’ve got a lot of great music lined up – more than I could possibly fit into two hours. Some possibilities for tonight include: Beck, The Notwist, Bob Dylan, The Deep Dark Woods, Charlie Parker, Jimmy Smith, Oscar Peterson Trio, Arcade Fire and many many more.
1. Gutbucket – Lucy Ferment?
2. Peter Bjorn and John – The Chills
3. Tipsy – Kitty Takes A Ride
4. Wilco – Either Way
5. Bob Dylan – A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall
6. Richard Groulx – Petty Too
7. Sarah Harmer – Luther’s Got The Blues
8. Barley Wik – View Of The Station
9. Eels – Flyswatter
10. The Dissociatives – Forever And A Day
11. The Notwist – Where In This World
12. Arcade Fire – No Cars Go
13. Urge Overkill – Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon
14. Nine Inch Nails & David Bowie – I’m Afraid of Americans
15. Rage Against The Machine – Renegades Of Funk
16. David Braid Sextet – The Call
17. Kyrie Kristmanson – Symmetry
18. Maria Schneider Orchestra – Aires de Lando
19. Oscar Peterson Trio – Blues For Smedley
20. Jimmy Smith – Walk Right In
21. The Cat Empire – Fishies
Thanks, as always for listening! Hopefully you liked what you heard. Check back here for news about the change back to a one-hour format.
All over the map again tonight. I’ve got some silverchair, John Coltrane, Oliver Jones, Ben Harper, Ella Fitzgerald, Deep Dark Woods and way more lined up. As usual, there will be some pretty different selections.
1. Björk – Submarine
2. Tiga – Shoes
3. Madeline Peyroux & William Galison – Back In Your Own Back Yard
4. Sarah Vaughan – Shulie A Bop
5. Stevie Wonder – Pastime Paradise
6. Oliver Jones – Why Think About Tomorrow
7. Jane Monheit – Embraceable You
8. The Faint – Symptom Finger
9. Kid Koala – Emperor’s Main Course
10. Vampire Weekend – I Think You’re A Contra
11. Goldfrapp – Black Cherry
12. Caribou – Desiree
13. Silverchair – Without You
14. N.A.S.A. – Spacious Thoughts (featuring Kool Keith and Tom Waits)
15. Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra – The Noose
16. Air – Sing Sang Sung
17. Rick Moranis – Press Pound
18. Joni Mitchell – The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines
19. Stan Getz & João Gilberto – Garota de Ipanema (featuring Astrud Gilberto)
20. Radiohead – Talk Show Host
21. Holly McNarland – When You Come Down
22. Ben Harper – Both Sides Of The Gun
23. Seal – A Change Is Gonna Come
24. John Coltrane – Lush Life (featuring Johnny Hartman)
25. Jon Ballantyne – Serenity
All that, and still so many good tunes that I just didn’t have time for. Oh well. Maybe next week. Thanks, as always, for listening. I hope you can catch the show again next Tuesday night!