On Tuesday November 10th, 2009, at 8:00 PM, What Planet Is This?! was on the air for the very first time.
Nowadays, I just make everything up as I go along, but back then, especially on that first show, I pre-planned every minute! When I got the call that the show was on, I started thinking about one thing the most: what do I play first? It has to be a killer track, a true classic, something that really sets the feel for the whole show.
It was Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man. I’m lucky to have an original pressing vinyl copy of that album (Head Hunters).
So, ever since the show’s beginnings, vinyl has had a strong presence. That continues to this day, when I bring around 30 records with me for the last Wednesday of every month.
Tune in today from 4:00 to 6:00 for big, warm, vinyl sound.
1. The Quantic Soul Orchestra – Lead Us To The End
2. Elmer Gill & Lockjaw Davis – I Can’t Hear For Listening
3. St. Paul & The Broken Bones – Call Me
4. The Ramsey Lewis Trio – Love Theme From Spartacus
5. Dan Mangan & Blacksmith – Kitsch
6. Shugo Tokumaru – Lahaha
7. Caribou – Leave House
8. David Sanborn – Backstreet
9. Aphex Twin – piano un1 arpej + DISKPREPT4
10. Mark Berube – Carnival
11. Portishead – Pedestal
12. Louis Armstrong – I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
13. Austra – Spellwork
14. Dr. John – Peace Brother Peace
15. Royal Canoe – Just Enough
16. Yusef Lateef – The Plum Blossom
17. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings – What If We All Stop Paying Taxes?
18. Kishi Bashi – Manchester