After last week’s mix of jazz and electronic music, I still have quite a few leftovers that I’d like to play (Paul Bley & Sonny Greenwhich, Michael Brecker, Aphex Twin, etc.). However, there is a lot of new stuff (and old stuff) I’m hoping to play as well. A friend reminded me yesterday that it was David Bowie’s birthday, so I’ve got a couple of deadly Bowie covers lined up. There are also some selections from my top five albums of 2012.
Overall, it should prove to be a typically disorienting and mixed sort of show.
Tune in from 4:00 to 6:00 for all the fun.
Murder By Death
What has 6 legs, 3 stomachs, travels in groups of millions at a time, and only lives outdoors if it’s below 40°C?
Never mind that. There’s a guest host on What Planet tonight! This guest has come from a terrifying distance (several blocks away), overcoming gargantuan adversity (it’s chilly outside) to bring you the best of someone’s music besides mine (thank everyone’s various gods). I’m told this will include some ska, some rock, some new stuff, some classics and one “super secret mystery song” that is sure to delight, entertain and possibly drive to insanity.
Tune in from 4:00 to 6:00 for What Planet Is This?!‘s annual Year-End Guest Host Special Thing!
I wish it would rain a little.
At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter.
Tune in from 4:00 to 6:00 for some great music.
Aaaahhhh! The chaos!
Another change of plans, folks. Be sure to tune in tonight at 7:00, but only for two hours of What Planet Is This?!. The Mouth Radio/What Planet Is This?! two-hour collab show has been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances.
On the plus side: two hours of WPIT, starting at 7:00 PM! Continue reading
Oh man! For once, I can say it was kind of a long week since last show. A lot of stuff has happened and I’m a little exhausted, so tonight I’m going to let the music take me away to another space and time. I hope you can join me and do the same.
I’m feeling one of those all-over-the-map kind of shows tonight. Not too much of any particular style or idiom. You will definitely hear some of the following: Rob McConnell & The Boss Brass, Leonard Cohen, Beck, Radiohead, Parliament, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings…
As well, I picked up a bunch of give-away records yesterday, so I may sneak in one or two tracks from those.
1. Stevie Wonder – I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)
2. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Answer Me
3. James Brown – Home At Last
4. Rob McConnell & The Boss Brass – The 4, 679,385th Blues in Bb
5. Parliament – I’ve Been Watching You
6. Louis Prima – When You’re Smiling
7. Leonard Cohen – Anthem
8. Feist & Ben Gibbard – Train Song
9. The Most Serene Republic – Who So Looking Back
10. Animal Collective – Bluish
11. The Notwist – Moron
Thanks for tuning in. Come on back next week for some more great music!
Hooray! It’s my favorite time of the week! My sweet sweet release from everyday life! Oh man, if only I could do this everyday…
Once a week, I get to head on down to Regina Community Radio headquarters (a well-kept secret base, close enough to Bushwakker you can almost smell that delicious cheesecake, yet far enough away that you couldn’t possible sneak off during a tune to get a piece and make it back in time to play the next tune), with coffee or tea in-hand and my big tacky orange bag of CDs, records, broken guitar strings and chipped saxophone reeds to play some of my favorite tunes to 91.3 FM’s loyal listening audience.
1. Ramsey McLean and the Survivors – Rocket Number Nine
2. Mr. Something Something – Make Your Mind
3. Jaco Pastorious – Chromatic Fantasy
4. Charles Mingus – Thrice Upon A Time
5. The Most Serene Republic – A Mix Of Sun And Cloud
6. Joni Mitchell – Judgement Of The Moon And The Stars (Ludwig’s Tune)
7. Sarah Slean – Duncan
8. Ella Fitzgerald – Reaching For The Moon
9. Simon & Garfunkel – The Boxer
10. Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band – It’s All Right With Me
11. Kurt Elling – Time To Say Goodbye
I hope you’re ready for another trip. I went a little overboard with the selections this time around. I know I always say I’ve got way too much music for an hour-long show, but I am going to come packed to the brim this time. I don’t know what I was thinking… :S
Some of the possibilities include: Charles Mingus, Tom Waits, Fred Wesley & The J.B.’s, Paul Bley & Sonny Greenwich, Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band, Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Bird, Maria Schneider, Dosh, Tiga, and the ENTIRE Coltrane family!
Oh well. The benefit is, you’re in for another good one tonight!
1. Jimmy Smith – The Preacher
2. Squirrel Nut Zippers – Evening at Lafitte’s
3. Alice Coltrane – Journey in Satchidananda
4. Dosh – Loud
5. Do Make Say Think – War on Want
6. Björk – The Dull Flame of Desire
7. The Most Serene Republic – The Men Who Live Upstairs
8. Tom Waits – Make it Rain
9. The Deep Dark Woods – Sweet Maggie
10. Joni Mitchell – Raised on Robbery
11. Chick Corea & Bela Fleck
12. Seal – I’ve Been Loving You Too Long
13. Jason Collett – Love is a Dirty Word
Time keeps on slipping slipping slipping…
Sorry. It’s true though. Before I realize it, another Tuesday is upon us. I’ve been keeping a little busier than usual, so I don’t have a set-in-stone plan for tonight (not that that’s unusual). However, I do have some good stuff lined up. It’s very likely you’ll hear some Joshua Redman, James Brown, Norah Jones, Oscar Peterson, Radiohead, Iron & Wine… yeah. Plenty of good stuff! I’ll throw a couple of surprises at you too, for good measure. 😉
1. Benny Sings – Get There
2. Caribbean Jazz Project – Stolen Moments
3. Feist – Sea Lion Woman
4. Bill Evans – Houdou Basin
5. Joshua Redman Elastic Band – Greasy G
6. Great Uncles of the Revolution – The Fruit Jugglers
7. Wynton Marsalis – Where Y’all At?
8. The Cat Empire – All That Talking
9. Norah Jones – Sunrise
10. Rheostatics – Northern Wish
11. Paul Paulin – J’ai pas n’cent su moé
12. Astor Piazzolla – Tango Fugata
13. Medeski Martin & Wood – Anonymous Skulls
14. Windom Earle – I Saw The Way You Looked At Me
15. PDF Format – Gen’s Song
16. Aphex Twin – Jynweythek Ylow
17. Sigur Rós – Gobbledigook
18. The Most Serene Republic – The Men Who Live Upstairs
19. Andrew Bird – ~
20. Chris Thile – Wolfcreek Pass
21. James Brown with Lyn Collins – Mama Feelgood
22. Kurt Elling – Minuano
23. Blair Zettl – Sometimes
24. The Bird & The Bee – My Fair Lady
25. Radiohead – Everything In Its Right Place
Thanks, as always, for listening. I hope you can catch the show again next week. I’m already trying to think of a good theme…
As I mentioned yesterday, tonight’s theme is going to be Spiced Jam!
It’s all about musicians getting together and playing from the depths of their experience. Sometimes, it’s just a let-loose, anything goes experience. Sometimes it’s organized chaos. Sometimes its just a small section of an otherwise well-formed tune. It could be just a couple of people playing together, it could be 10 musicians, all watching what the other 9 are doing, and making up it up from there. It all depends on what kind of jam you’re making and what spices you want to use, I suppose.
Jamming is a very important part of many types of music, and though I suspect there will be a strong dose of jazz tonight, I hope to cover some pretty varied styles. Hopefully you can tune in tonight at 7:00 CST! 🙂
1. Bob Marley – Jamming
2. Stevie Wonder – Master Blaster (Jammin’)
3. MSTRKRFT – Paris
4. The Cat Empire – The Car Song
5. The Most Serene Republic – Humble Peasants
6. Funkadelic – Vampy Funky Bernie
7. Oscar Peterson – Donna Lee
8. Oscar Peterson – Sweet Georgia Brown
9. Frank Zappa – The Nancy & Mary Music
10. Herbie Hancock – Chameleon
11. Lazerblade – Lazer Vegas
12. Supertonic – Got The Job
13. Rocket 88 – St. Louis Blues
14. Method of Defiance – Ta’ Wil
15. General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners – Modified Combined Obstacle Overlay (MCOO) …Or… “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Turntables”
16. Chick Corea – City Of Brass
17. Deep Purple – Space Truckin’
Thanks again for listening! I hope you can tune in again next week.