After last week’s mix of jazz and electronic music, I still have quite a few leftovers that I’d like to play (Paul Bley & Sonny Greenwhich, Michael Brecker, Aphex Twin, etc.). However, there is a lot of new stuff (and old stuff) I’m hoping to play as well. A friend reminded me yesterday that it was David Bowie’s birthday, so I’ve got a couple of deadly Bowie covers lined up. There are also some selections from my top five albums of 2012.
Overall, it should prove to be a typically disorienting and mixed sort of show.
Tune in from 4:00 to 6:00 for all the fun.
Murder By Death
What has 6 legs, 3 stomachs, travels in groups of millions at a time, and only lives outdoors if it’s below 40°C?
Never mind that. There’s a guest host on What Planet tonight! This guest has come from a terrifying distance (several blocks away), overcoming gargantuan adversity (it’s chilly outside) to bring you the best of someone’s music besides mine (thank everyone’s various gods). I’m told this will include some ska, some rock, some new stuff, some classics and one “super secret mystery song” that is sure to delight, entertain and possibly drive to insanity.
Tune in from 4:00 to 6:00 for What Planet Is This?!‘s annual Year-End Guest Host Special Thing!
I wish it would rain a little.
At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter. At least it’s not winter.
Tune in from 4:00 to 6:00 for some great music.
Aaaahhhh! The chaos!
Another change of plans, folks. Be sure to tune in tonight at 7:00, but only for two hours of What Planet Is This?!. The Mouth Radio/What Planet Is This?! two-hour collab show has been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances.
On the plus side: two hours of WPIT, starting at 7:00 PM! Continue reading
Oh man! For once, I can say it was kind of a long week since last show. A lot of stuff has happened and I’m a little exhausted, so tonight I’m going to let the music take me away to another space and time. I hope you can join me and do the same.
I’m feeling one of those all-over-the-map kind of shows tonight. Not too much of any particular style or idiom. You will definitely hear some of the following: Rob McConnell & The Boss Brass, Leonard Cohen, Beck, Radiohead, Parliament, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings…
As well, I picked up a bunch of give-away records yesterday, so I may sneak in one or two tracks from those.
1. Stevie Wonder – I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)
2. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Answer Me
3. James Brown – Home At Last
4. Rob McConnell & The Boss Brass – The 4, 679,385th Blues in Bb
5. Parliament – I’ve Been Watching You
6. Louis Prima – When You’re Smiling
7. Leonard Cohen – Anthem
8. Feist & Ben Gibbard – Train Song
9. The Most Serene Republic – Who So Looking Back
10. Animal Collective – Bluish
11. The Notwist – Moron
Thanks for tuning in. Come on back next week for some more great music!
Hooray! It’s my favorite time of the week! My sweet sweet release from everyday life! Oh man, if only I could do this everyday…
Once a week, I get to head on down to Regina Community Radio headquarters (a well-kept secret base, close enough to Bushwakker you can almost smell that delicious cheesecake, yet far enough away that you couldn’t possible sneak off during a tune to get a piece and make it back in time to play the next tune), with coffee or tea in-hand and my big tacky orange bag of CDs, records, broken guitar strings and chipped saxophone reeds to play some of my favorite tunes to 91.3 FM’s loyal listening audience.
1. Ramsey McLean and the Survivors – Rocket Number Nine
2. Mr. Something Something – Make Your Mind
3. Jaco Pastorious – Chromatic Fantasy
4. Charles Mingus – Thrice Upon A Time
5. The Most Serene Republic – A Mix Of Sun And Cloud
6. Joni Mitchell – Judgement Of The Moon And The Stars (Ludwig’s Tune)
7. Sarah Slean – Duncan
8. Ella Fitzgerald – Reaching For The Moon
9. Simon & Garfunkel – The Boxer
10. Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band – It’s All Right With Me
11. Kurt Elling – Time To Say Goodbye
I hope you’re ready for another trip. I went a little overboard with the selections this time around. I know I always say I’ve got way too much music for an hour-long show, but I am going to come packed to the brim this time. I don’t know what I was thinking… :S
Some of the possibilities include: Charles Mingus, Tom Waits, Fred Wesley & The J.B.’s, Paul Bley & Sonny Greenwich, Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band, Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Bird, Maria Schneider, Dosh, Tiga, and the ENTIRE Coltrane family!
Oh well. The benefit is, you’re in for another good one tonight!
1. Jimmy Smith – The Preacher
2. Squirrel Nut Zippers – Evening at Lafitte’s
3. Alice Coltrane – Journey in Satchidananda
4. Dosh – Loud
5. Do Make Say Think – War on Want
6. Björk – The Dull Flame of Desire
7. The Most Serene Republic – The Men Who Live Upstairs
8. Tom Waits – Make it Rain
9. The Deep Dark Woods – Sweet Maggie
10. Joni Mitchell – Raised on Robbery
11. Chick Corea & Bela Fleck
12. Seal – I’ve Been Loving You Too Long
13. Jason Collett – Love is a Dirty Word